Wednesday 16 February 2011

In what ways does your media product use, develop and challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

My media product develops challenges and uses forms and conventions of indie music videos. Conventions such as: tendency to film in black and white has been used throughout the video. The artist has also been shown at various stages and dark urban locations have been used.
Using these conventions makes the video recognisable as indie and is useful in continuity.

A way in which forms and conventions of indie music videos is challenged within my product is the use of time lapse, time lapse is used at various stages throughout the video, faded in and out to show the passing of time. Although the time lapse is in the form of a movie car, it has been speed up to create this effect.

I decided to conform to the tendancy to be filmed in black and white as it makes the video recognisable from other genres.The artist is shown at various points throughout the video, this is conformant of indie music videos.I have also conformed to conventions by using dark urban locations, the location I have used is exeter. Most of the footage was filmed in pedestrian subways, meaning that there was ideal lighting to create the desired effect.

I have slightly developed costume within my product. Indie style usually consists of checked shirts, skinny jeans and trainers, I have replaced the check shirt with a hoodie to attract a younger audience, but this still reflects the song's genre

I have developed the convention of Colour’s reflecting the song’s genre, by using both colour and black and white. I used the time lapse in colour, but filmed at night to conform to dark locations, but the colour is shown within lights etc.

I have choosen not to use the convention of band performance as I wanted a more disjunctured video. Something that could be creative and slightly different to appeal to a niche audience. Also I have cut between locational shots and the artist.

As I choose a disjunctured music video, I therefore didn't need to have a storyline. I think that it would of been more effective to have a storyline as the audience has something to follow, although I think that my product was still effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment